Wednesday, July 27, 2011

So Much Beauty in Dirt



I have been teaching a children's summer program at the Missouri University Craft Studio this summer.  I want to tell you about why I love the Craft Studio so much but that story begins with my undergraduate experience, so I will begin there.

I went to the Rhode Island School of Design.  This is not something that I like to tell people right up front because I don't want people to construct a meaning from the fact that I went to RISD that I do not intend.  Sometimes when I tell people that I went to RISD, I can see them get this far away look in their eyes and I can already tell that that they are envisioning what I must be capable of.  The truth is so much more complicated than I can explain quickly to someone I've only just met.  I did have an amazing time at RISD, but I also struggled and began a path that diverged (what feels like far) away from that of my classmates.  I also felt that painting, my major, could be incredibly exclusive and at times, pretentious.  I was really turned off by this feeling that painting was only for the elite and this bad taste led me to explore other options.  The truth is also that there are times when I feel really proud of my alternative path and sometimes I feel like a failure.

While at RISD, I was both a Resident Advisor and a Teachers Assistant to Gerald Immonen.  I loved those jobs as much as I loved making artwork and I slowly began to realize that maybe being alone in an art studio all day wasn't really going to be good for me.  So in the years after RISD, I drifted from Americorps, to pre-schools to non-profits, to living abroad; which is to say that I was lost.  Finally, I accepted the idea that their wasn't an ideal job for me.  I decided that if I were to become an art teacher I could support other young people finding solace in art (the story of my life in public education) and I could make a living wage (which I know some people may find debatable in teaching).

So now it's ten years since I left RISD.  I earned my Teaching Certification at Columbia College in my hometown of Columbia, Missouri.  I got a job teaching art to K-2 graders in Ashland, Missouri (15 miles from Columbia).  In this blog I will tell the story of my first year of teaching, while attempting to maintain my own artistic practice.

But back to the Craft Studio.  I love the MU Craft Studio because it is the least pretentious art place I've ever been.  Their motto is simply: Make something.  In my time that I've taught there, I've taught painting to students majoring in everything from Nutrition Science to Entomology.  I love teaching non-artist students because they bring such a clean slate and an open mind to their artistic practice.

This summer I am teaching groups of children by age group and theme.  For example, the first week the theme was "animals" and the children were 1st-3rd graders.  The photograph I included in this post is an outdoor sculpture made by a group of 6th-8th graders.  I showed them the artist Andy Goldsworthy and then I selected a location for them to make a site specific sculpture.  What I love about this work is that the students completely dictated the direction of the sculpture.  They made decisions, delineated tasks, and created a work that in my opinion is really beautiful.

Having decided to become a teacher, one of my favorite parts of this work is baring witness to the creation of something authentic and beautiful.          

4 comments:

  1. welcome! (to blog land) I'm so glad you're writing here. I liked reading, in your own uninterrupted words, your journey from RISD to where you are now. I love the work you make. I also love that you are so encouraging about art, you have a way of making art so accessible. I agree, it must be amazing to bear witness to such authenticity. It's hard to find it in the adult world so much of the time, but with children it is always there.
    The sculpture you photographed is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you friend! If you continue at the craft studio next year, my kiddos will be there! I loved reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. jessie, this was wonderful to read. i guess we never really sat down together to talk about your journey from RISD to here. it is encouraging to know that such a grounded & wonderful person can be a little lost. i feel that way a lot right now, but i feel like it is essential to the human experience. thank you for being you. everyone should have you as their art teacher. love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looking forward to reading about this journey ms starbuck!

    ReplyDelete